Friday, July 23, 2010

New Training Plan

I've decided to start a new training plan with the aim of reducing my PB for the 10km. I am using an elongated version of an intermediate plan which includes 400m intervals. It's supposedly designed to put some speed into your races - time will tell. I've set it up to coincide with the "Melbourne Marathon" (10/10/10 -just realised that date!) I got the basis of this plan from (click on it to enlarge):

http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/10Kintermediate.htm



I've had a couple of 7k runs this week and today I attempted Gaffney St hill! It's the one with Pascoe Vale station at the bottom of it. For those that are unfamiliar with the hill, it has a gradient of approximately 1 in 6, its only about 200 metres long but it rises something like 40metres in height - don't quote me as I don't know the exact numbers.. If your brakes fail coming down this hill you are going to make a real mess of something - probably yourself! A speed camera half way down this hill would generate a billion dollar annual surplus for the state government!

My wife has been goading me for a few weeks now about another runner in the area who does it daily - but he's a real runner I argue!

Anyway, as I get ready for my run at 6.00am this morning I decide to tackle the monster. I have a 1.3km slight downhill before I hit it, so I've at least warmed up sufficiently to tackle it.

As I approach the base I look up at it and have 2nd thoughts, but I've mapped out my run and a change of direction would mean many more changes. My pace is good 5:30per k, but this slows as I climb the hill. As I reach about halfway, I'm barely running and I'm out of breath. For the first time in I don't know how long, I have to walk. I get to the top and I'm still stuffed and I have another 5-6km to go. It takes me another k to get my rhythm back and I hit the low/mid 5minute k's again.





Set myself another goal: attempt it once weekly and run the complete hill by xmas.

No comments: